Justine Plantation was built by Don Martin Navarro in 1786 as a wedding gift for his only daughter Adelaide. A native of Spain, Navarro was appointed as treasurer of the Spanish Province of Louisiana by King Charles III in the period prior to the province’s return to France and subsequent purchase by the United States. Justine was built on land along Bayou Teche near Centerville, Louisiana granted by the Spanish to Adelaide and her new husband Louis George de Maret.
Justine was operated as a sugar plantation during the 1800’s and early 1900’s. Throughout her history, her majesty and grandeur has helped her survive the ages. The structure was built entirely of Louisiana cypress, a feature that has helped her withstand the environment of south Louisiana. In 1965, Justine was purchased by Mrs. Aleen Yeutter who moved the structure by barge fifty-four miles down Bayou Teche to a new location. She rested here for thirty-eight years before moving once again.
In 2003, Justine was purchased by a local financier and moved again by barge from Bayou Teche to her present home in Mandeville on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. Located on the site of the old Lake Theater building, Justine was placed atop of twelve-foot columns with a grand front staircase to help her weather area’s frequent hurricanes. The 220-year-old structure survived relatively unscathed through the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Justine now sits as the “Jewel of Mandeville” gazing out over Lake Pontchartrain and the majestic oaks of the Mandeville Lakefront.
Become part of the history.
Contact us today about hosting your event at Justine Plantation and write a page in a 230 year-old story.